Re: sh4 architecture into Wheezy

Hi,

2011/3/30 Steve McIntyre <steve@einval.com>:
> On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 02:05:52PM +0900, Nobuhiro Iwamatsu wrote:
>>Dear release team.
>>
>>We(sh4 porting team) are now trying to run Debian on Renesas SH(sh4) CPU.
>>  http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/architecture.php?suite=unstable&a=sh4
>>
>>We want to support sh4 by the next release (Wheezy).
>>
>>- Buildd status
>>  Currentry, we are finished with build with packages of about 90%.
>>  http://buildd.debian-ports.org/stats/sh4.txt
>>  http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/architecture.php?suite=unstable&a=sh4&priority=
>>
>>- ArchiveQualification of sh4
>>  http://wiki.debian.org/ArchiveQualification/sh4
>>
>>How do you think about including sh4 in the next release?
>>
>>If I have say "go ahead!", we will start work with DSA, buildd
>>team, security team and ftp-master team.
>
> Hi Nobuhiro,
>
> A few questions:
>
> You say "there is many user waiting for port to Debian" in the wiki
> page listed. How many is "many"?

Bill is written, but there is the user of SH/Linux all over the world.
Sorry, I do not understand the right value.

There are many BSP and products which used SH4/Linux (Debian).
There is not the user than ARM, but it is sure that there are many users.

> What are the future prospects for sh4? It seems that STM are
> concentrating on ARM-based cores for future products...

STM has license of SuperH, and they have a board for development of
the sh4 base.
They have original distoribution[0], but there is the user who
replaces this with debian.
I do not yet know whether STM produces the CPU's of the SH4 base.
I will collect more detailed information about this.

Best regards,
  Nobuhiro

[0]: http://www.stlinux.com/

--