Re: anyone still here?

Ryan Underwood writes...

> some time to define a new ABI.   If we do not define a new ABI, we
> place the load of another separate distribution on the mirrors' disk
> space and bandwidth, which doesn't even really have that many users.
> This would be unacceptable to the Project I think, because we would be
> using a disproportionately large amount of resources to serve a
> very small userbase (arguably the smallest user base out of all Debian
> architectures).

Yes this is the real reason why there's no Debian archive support.
At one point some were asking for 4 targets: sh3, sh3eb, sh4, sh4eb
I suspect that there won't be support until there's only one ABI and a large
user base of systems that are reasonable to run Debian on.(I don't count
Dreamcast in that list since it has so little memory and no local storage, it
might be useful as a cheap port bringup tool though). If people have contacts
in Hitachi, it might be useful to tell them this. I understand that having
separate ABIs works for the markets that current sh processors are targetted
at, but if they want Debian support on more general use systems it doesn't.

I'm still hanging on to my Dreamcast w/BBA with the hope that Hitachi commits
to an ABI that supports at least sh4 and future versions. Then maybe we'll
have a good arguement for a real Debian port.

--
Matt Taggart
taggart@debian.org