Shipping non-OpenSSH scp(1) binary

Dear OpenSSH maintainers,

/usr/bin/scp — used both client and server side — is currently provided
by the openssh-client package.  I'm currently maintaining dropbear,
which happens to also provide scp; it's currently not included in our
packages, but users have repeatedly requested it [0] and I'm wondering
what would be the best way to provide it.

Quoting myself from bug #495795 msg #25,

--8<--------------------------------------------------------------->8--

I believe the options at hands are:

  * ask the OpenSSH maintainers to consider using an alternative for
    their scp binary (and possibly ssh too), or
  * provide a new package dropbear-client to ship /usr/bin/{dbclient,scp}
    and make it conflict with openssh-client.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

I'm currently leaning towards the second solution, but would be great to
have your opinion on that :-)

Thanks for maintaining OpenSSH in Debian!
Cheers,
--
Guilhem.

[0] https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=495795