Re: Debian Cloud Sprint Seattle

Hi Mehdi,
Dates can be flexible at this point but I had to chose some dates to get things moving. If a weekend works better for everyone we can try to do that. I chose week days because that is easier for people who work on the platforms to attend. A significant purpose of this sprint is to get the Debian community together with the cloud platforms it runs on. Seattle makes sense because all 3 major cloud providers are based here (AWS, Azure, GCE) and Seattle is home to hundreds of small startups and cloud focused companies and groups. I realize that the Debian community is spread out everywhere so I don't think there is any specific city in the world that would ever accommodate everyone ideally. My hope is that we have enough quorum to have the right discussions in person. I am also intend to setup a video conference for those that are not able to make it in person and want to be part of the sprint.

Potential attendees were present at Debconf and this idea was floated by Steve then. I didn't hear any significant dissent and everyone thought it was a good idea to move forward.

-----
Zach Marano
zmarano@google.com

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 3:22 AM, Mehdi Dogguy <mehdi@dogguy.org> wrote:
Hi Zach,

Thanks for proposing this sprint! It is more than needed.

On 11/08/2016 19:26, Zach Marano wrote:
> Hi, We're ready to go ahead with a sprint focused on Debian in the Cloud
> hosted in Seattle.
>
> I am still working on some details and a more detailed agenda. Tentatively, I
> am looking at November 2-4. I also need some guidance regarding reserving a
> meeting room. How do other organizers go about this?

As Lucas noted, we usually rely on Debian-friendly organizations to host our
meetings or other facilities who can offer co-working spaces as part of the
accommodation (like the LinuxHotel in Germany, but this can be arranged with
regular hotels as well I guess).

> I created the following wiki entry as a start:
> https://wiki.debian.org/Sprints/2016/DebianCloudNov2016
>
> As for attendees, I would like to make sure we include everyone from the
> debian-cloud list, debian-cd list, and make special attention to invite
> Debian involved contributors from other Cloud platforms (AWS, Azure,
> etc...).

Were potential attendees polled about the dates and location that would work
the best for them? For example, as a volunteer organization, we heavily rely
on volunteers. The proposed dates are during working days. So this may be an
obstacle for some contributors. Also, was the choice of location based on a
list of potential attendees?

Regards,

--
Mehdi