Re: [COMMITTED] Remove obsolete Solaris 11.3 support

Hi John,

> On Fri, 2024-05-10 at 12:14 +0200, Richard Biener wrote:
>> > Because I wasn't subscribed to gcc-patches and I'm also only subscribed now
>> > without receiving messages due to the large message volume on this list.
>>
>> https://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-13/changes.html
>>
>> > The problem with announcements on developer mailing lists is usually
>> > that they
>> > usually don't reach any users. I was made aware of this change only when I
>> > checked about the recent changes to GCC Git.
>>
>> Where do you expect such announcement then?
>
> That's a difficult question, to be honest. From a user perspective, it's hard to
> track these upstream announcements. I would argue that most users don't follow
> all such changes in the upstream projects they are using and, to be honest,
> I really
> wouldn't have expected that Solaris 11.3 would be considered obsolete.

users don't have to follow such announcements at all unless they build
GCC from source.  And those that do better should.  As I mentioned, if
they try, they'll get the info from configure anyway.

> If it had been for Solaris 7, 8 or 9, I would totally understand. But even
> Solaris 10
> is something that Oracle still supports [1].

Right, and you pay an arm and a leg for that.  Yet, Solaris 10 support
was removed from GCC 10 back in 2019 without much fuss.

	Rainer

Rainer Orth, Center for Biotechnology, Bielefeld University