Re: M4000 failing to boot Debian Sparc64

Hi,

On 02.07.23 16:35, Vocalía Infraestructura TIC CEEINA wrote:
Hi Frank,

Thank you for your fast answer. I also thought when installing that it was an incompatibility problem with the processor architecture, as you stated.

However, having a look at the wiki (https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64 <https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64>) it seems to me that machines with a sun4u SPARC VII+ processor should be able to run it, right? Our M4000 has a VII+ processor.

Can you post the kernel messages for your boot, so we can reference it in the Debian Wiki? Maybe by comparing them to what was posted about a M3000 with SPARC64 VII on [1] and SPARC64 V on [2], we can conclude if support for SPARC64 VII+ is any better than for those other processors.

[1]: https://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/linux-sparc-users/2017-October/000027.html

[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/09/msg00017.html

You don't happen to have a SPARC64 X based system for testing? I think I never saw a dmesg from such a system, too.

Maybe I have not fully understood the wiki or your message, therefore sorry if I'm wrong.

I went through the history of changes and the one that adds the information about SPARC64 processors ([3]) was done by an Alex McWhirter.

[3]: https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64?action=diff&rev1=25&rev2=26

Checking my email archive I actually even asked him (via alexmcwhirter@triadic.us, though not sure if that is the correct address) exactly about this change, but never got a reply IIRC.

Cheers,
Frank