Re: Debian SID on Ultra 30

Hi Dennis,

On 3/29/23 11:12 AM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
> On 3/28/23 18:50, Stan Johnson wrote:
>>   "Fast Data Access MMU Miss"

Thanks for your message.

> Power down the machine to the firmware ok prompt. You should be able to
> do that with :
>
>     shutdown -Hh 'now'
>
> The capital " H " should just halt the linux os and leave you as the
> prompt.
>
> Then do this :
>
>     setenv diag-switch? true
>     setenv auto-boot? false
>     setenv verbosity max
>
> Then do printenv and check if the diagnostics verbosity is actually set
> to maximum. On the old Ultra 30 it may be named something else.

"diag-level" is set to "max"

> Then issue the golden "power-off". Unplug it from the AC power.

This system has a failed battery (the battery that's embedded in the ID
chip). So a hardware power-on always fails, but after entering a few
initializing lines at the Forth "ok" prompt, followed by "set-defaults"
and "reset-all", it boots normally. This Ultra 30 also has 1,536 MiB
memory, but apparently the hardware power-on process only initializes
1,280 MiB, before reporting that the NVRAM contents are invalid.

> Then power on the unit and watch all the diagnostics happen.
>
> I do not recall the specifics of the Ultra 30 but if you issue this to
> the forth ok prompt :
>
>     sifting post
>
> You will get a list of commands related to POST status. One of tham may
> actually be post-results or post-status. Issue that command.
>
> If the result looks sane then "setenv diag-switch? false" and boot the
> system as per normal.

Looking at the post results after a "reset-all", the only complaint is
that a power-on self-test didn't run since "reset-all" (and that's
probably the test we want). Do you know whether there's a separate
memory test (similar to the scsi-probe test)?

I don't think there's a memory issue with this system (I've run Linux
memtest in the past with no errors, though the Linux test probably isn't
as thorough as Sun's test).

Other kernels boot without any problems, including Debian's
vmlinux-5.16.0-6-sparc64 as well as a custom 6.2.8 that I'm using now. I
haven't seen the "Fast Data Access MMU Miss" with any kernel other than
Debian's vmlinux-6.1.0-7-sparc64. But since my system doesn't have a
working battery, perhaps this would need to be duplicated by someone who
has an Ultra 30 that still has a working battery.

-Stan