Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2023-06-06

On Wed, 2023-06-07 at 03:36 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>      One of the first things I plan on doing  is a bootstrap of GCC 13.x
> and then also binutils ( maybe? maybe not? ) and of course a kernel.
> That will keep the machine thrashing for at least a week. With Gentoo I
> saw an update time of the machine take well over 190 hours. Awesome
> throughput with plenty of swap needed.

You should run the GCC testsuite which really tortures the hardware.

Btw, I had a quick glimpse through your video and saw that you were
confused by the kernel used by the installer which is still at 6.1.x.

The 6.3.x kernels are part of experimental only at the moment since
Debian Bookworm is going to be released with a 6.1.x kernel which is
an LTS kernel.

Since debian-installer images are always built from unstable, the installer
is currently stuck at kernel 6.1.x but you can install the experimental
kernel using this sources.list [1] afterwards with:

# apt install linux-image-sparc64-smp -t=experimental

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
: :' :  Debian Developer