Re: Bullseye planned on sparc64?

Hi Adrian,

ok, just let me know if you want an XVR-1200 to investigate (if you even have the time to do it) and the required hardware to fit the XVR-1200.

Strange thing, yes, I had /boot with a size of 512MB (as I had in the screenshot). https://ibb.co/P9FfdwS

Cheers

Iggi

Am 27.08.21, 19:02 schrieb "John Paul Adrian Glaubitz" <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>:

    > On Aug 25, 2021, at 10:18 PM, James Bond <bond6872@googlemail.com> wrote:
    >
    > 1). The Intenso CDRs are crap. I burnt a new disc and this one started Grub

    Yes, good quality CD-Rs are important.

    > 2). Before retrying to reinstall Debian I had booted into Solaris and thought rit would be a good moment to give Debian a try. And suddenly after loading Grub and some error messages that I have had before as well the installer switched mode and no fizzy screen output! So it looks like the XVR-1200 needs a pre-initialization and then the Debian terminal installer works.

    Yes, it seems the card needs to be initialized and I assume the Linux kernel driver is missing something here. Firmware maybe which does the initialization?

    > 4). Is there a size limitation with Debian sparc64? Wanted to install on one of the 146GB internal disks but during portioning I get the "warning" that the disk has "562253" cylinders which is greater than the maximum of "65536". The installer continues but when rebooting from the disk it stops with:
    > Can't open disk2

    There is no size limitation, but if you use GRUB with linked blocklists (anything older that SPARC T4), the partition which contains /boot must not be too large.

    The installer will normally choose a small, separate /boot partition for that matter. So you run into this issue, it means you either deleted the /boot partition or your /boot partition is larger than a few GB (forgot the exact limit).

    Adrian