Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-05-09

On 5/9/19 1:52 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
On 5/9/19 19:42, Dennis Clarke wrote:
On 5/9/19 1:35 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
Hi Dennis,

On 5/9/19 18:29, Dennis Clarke wrote:
On 5/9/19 12:24 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hello!

I just uploaded updated installation images 2019-05-09 for the
following Debian Ports architectures:

  * alpha
  * hppa
  * ia64
  * m68k
  * powerpc
  * ppc64
  * sh4
  * sparc64

I tried to breath life into an old Netra which was just too old for
the task. Are you aware of any issues with the M3000 type machine?

Or even M4000 ?

I'm starting to wonder if my mails about ...

No I am not ignoring you.

I simply didn't recall over my coffee this morning.

I have not looked at linux on sparc in ... nearly forever.  Possibly an
actual forever. There is no reason to think about it. Now I see from my
hardware list on hand there is even less reason to even bother testing.

Thanks for listening.

Please don't mind, I was just a little upset, as I assumed my mails on
this topic were just wasted.

[2] also has some further reading about this topic. Maybe you get in
touch with Meelis Roos, who started a thread titled "Adding support for
Fujitsu SPARC64 machines?" on the linux-sparc mailing list (see [3])
some years ago. Maybe this can be revived.

[2]: https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64#Installing_the_Debian_SPARC64_Port

[3]: https://marc.info/?l=linux-sparc&m=142067252101925&w=2

I appreciate your patience and perserverance. I seem to have way way too
many little irons in the fire and too many machines running to recall
all the bits about all of them.  I don't think I am alone in that
experience.

In my mind an Oracle M4000 with 256G of memory and a stack of processor
cores is a terrible waste.  Baffles me that it can not run with even
some basic sparc v9 type mode. Regardless the devices are most likely an
issue also.

--
Dennis Clarke
RISC-V/SPARC/PPC/ARM/CISC