Re: Request for a Debian CD logo - was: Re: Sorry for the noise...

changing lists...

On 5/2/19 11:23, Dennis Clarke wrote:
Slightly off topic but I really need to do some SPARC testing as I am
swimming in that stuff.  There just is no way to keep Solaris running
anymore on anything older than eight or nine years ago and so testing
my fav Linux distro seems like a damn fine idea.

I agree. Apart from that, ever tried Tribblix ([1])? I never found the
time to test it, but there's a variant for SPARC available.

[1]: http://www.tribblix.org/

This is a note mostly to remind myself to get that going.

I have an M4000 sitting around with 256G of memory and fully loaded
doing nothing but fighting gravity.  That seems wrong to me.

Sorry to discourage you, but I expect you will only get GRUB running on
that machine unless the Linux support for Fujitsu's SPARC64 - what
version do you got in this machine: VI, VII or VII+? - has been improved
in the meantime (see [2]). But nevertheless you could give it a try, as
I only have SPARC64 V+ powered machines available.

[2]: https://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2017/09/msg00017.html

Apart from GNU/Linux, OpenBSD has support for this machine (see [3]) if
you want some "current" OS on it.

[3]: http://www.openbsd.org/sparc64.html

Cheers,
Frank