Re: sparc64 most important tasks

On 08/09/2018 08:03 PM, Gregor Riepl wrote:
>> I agree. I haven't had the time yet to upstream my patch to Qt yet. There
>> are a couple of other issues in upstream Qt code that I wanted to fix.
>
> In the meantime, are you going to push a patch to the Debian repo, or do you
> need any help?

Feel free to take this part over:

I am going to be on vacation from Monday, so any help is appreciated.

Also, while the workaround fixes most issues, there are still a handful
of tests failing. Maybe you could look into that?

>> It's a binutils bug: https://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2018-08/msg00138.html
>>
>> Upstream intentionally removed a.out and coff support. I protested, it didn't help.
>
> Is a.out really required for the grub payload? I couldn't find anything in the
> specification you linked that says it is, except for FCode executables (which
> I assume grub-iee1275 isn't).
>
> In any case, I understand that they want to avoid bit rot, but removing coff
> and a.out is pushing it a bit. Any chance that it gets restored?

No idea.

>>> Also, someone should make V4 JIT sparc64 compatible: https://wiki.qt.io/V4
>>> May or may not be a big task.
>>
>> So, another Javascript engine in this world which will use the braindead
>> concept of tagged pointers which assumes a 48-bit virtual address space?
>
> You should have told them that before they implemented it that way. ;)

Well, they shouldn't make assumptions about the underlying hardware in the
first place. ARM64 also uses more than 48 bits.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz