Re: GRUB is now the default bootloader on sparc64

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 01:44:45PM +0200, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have now disabled SILO support in debian-installer meaning that
> it's no longer possible to install the SILO bootloader when installing
> Debian on sparc64.
>
> [...]
>
> GRUB is fully supported on sparc64 and, from the various feedback we got
> on the mailing list, should be compatible with even the oldest UltraSPARC
> machines. So it will work on any machine that run Debian's sparc64 port.

Hello Adrian, all.  I have been working on getting grub2 running as a step
in getting my t5120 running, as the list has been hearing from me.  I was/am
building from https://github.com/esnowberg/grub2-sparc, using the guide
https://github.com/esnowberg/grub2-sparc/wiki.  But, this makes me wonder,
what is it you've included in the installer if the core grub2 code is not
yet inclusive of these changes?  (I did try to use the grub2 2.02++ that
was on the host, but wasn't able to get it to install, and shifted to the
above.)

Thanks.  I have enough balls in the air on this machine that I'm starting to
think I might be better starting from scratch with grub2 now the default.
I don't know where to find built ISO's since approximately the date of this
email, so I want to ensure the above is effective in an ISO before trying
to reinstall from such.

                    - Chris