Re: GRUB is now the default bootloader on sparc64

On 07/02/2018 05:17 AM, Chris Ross wrote:
> Hello Adrian, all.  I have been working on getting grub2 running as a step
> in getting my t5120 running, as the list has been hearing from me.  I was/am
> building from https://github.com/esnowberg/grub2-sparc, using the guide
> https://github.com/esnowberg/grub2-sparc/wiki.  But, this makes me wonder,
> what is it you've included in the installer if the core grub2 code is not
> yet inclusive of these changes?  (I did try to use the grub2 2.02++ that
> was on the host, but wasn't able to get it to install, and shifted to the
> above.)

All the sparc64-related changes in GRUB that Debian is carrying in a local
patch have already been upstreamed, they are part of the master git repository
of GRUB:

> http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/grub.git

However, the current released version of GRUB - 2.02 - does not contain
the changes yet, they will be part of GRUB 2.04. That's why Debian's grub2
package is still carrying an additional sparc64 patch. This patch will
be dropped once 2.04 has been released and uploaded to Debian.

> Thanks.  I have enough balls in the air on this machine that I'm starting to
> think I might be better starting from scratch with grub2 now the default.
> I don't know where to find built ISO's since approximately the date of this
> email, so I want to ensure the above is effective in an ISO before trying
> to reinstall from such.

The image found here should be fine and should install GRUB as the default
bootloader on sparc64:

> https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/ports/10.0/sparc64/iso-cd/

It might be though that both the grub-installer and partman-auto debian-installer
packages are not up-to-date in this ISO yet which might lead to smaller issues.

I will build updated images soonish.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz