Re: 8e9800 Fast Data Access MMU Miss

On Sunday 2018-05-13 20:02, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> On 05/13/2018 01:55 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
>> On 05/13/2018 06:05 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
>>> Hrmm .. new problem. I think that the firmware on ye older Sun Netra
>>> type units was limited as to how much it could fetch and deal with
>>> for a "net boot" process. Looks to be precisely 10MB :
>>
>> Yes, this is known and has been discussed on this list before.
>>
>> The thing is that hardly anyone has been using netboot images so far
>> which is why there has been nearly zero feedback and hence no improvements
>> so far.
>
> Well .. please allow me to wave my hands in the air.  :-)
>
> Network boot is the only way I ever install anything on sparc.

Yeah but given all these fancy firmware restrictions (not to mention
that "network booting" inherently means two machines), one can get
really creative.

Like... how do you boot an ISO file? (E.g. Solaris DVD rescue prompt.)
A: Assuming there's already an installation, you store the ISO on disk,
make sure it's in one extent, and then hack the partition table to point
to it. Then it's a matter of "boot disk:e.."