Re: 8e9800 Fast Data Access MMU Miss

On Sun, 2018-05-13 at 13:21 -0400, Dennis Clarke wrote:

> > > Hrmm .. new problem. I think that the firmware on ye older Sun
> > > Netra type units was limited as to how much it could fetch and
> > > deal with for a "net boot" process. Looks to be precisely 10MB :
> >
> > And I wonder if they ever bumped it at all, because it is not a
> > problem for Solaris, and 10 MB is ample space for a "bootloader" of
> > sorts (think wanboot(1m)/inetboot(1m)). Perhaps grub2 is the answer
> > to that, since I have never gotten TILO to do it.
>

> Me neither.  I tested my setup of tftp/dhcp/nfs etc with a net
> install of Solaris 10 u11 and that works fine. That is actually using
> grub from way back at version 1.97 ( or there abouts ) however it was
> madly hacked inside Sun and then more hackary was done during the
> OpenSolaris project. Definately grub. I should go have a look and see
> if I have the sources laying about somewhere.  Could be useful.
>
> Regardless ... I will keep poking at this with a stick and see what I
>   can come up with.

Bingo. If I compare sparc/netboot.cfg and sparc64/netboot.cfg from
build/config within the debian-installer_20171204, I've got ...

- TEMP_INITRD_XZ = $(TEMP)/initrd.xz

- $(TEMP_INITRD_XZ): $(TEMP_INITRD)
- 	# xz options ensure that kernel's decoder can handle the
image.
- 	zcat $(TEMP_INITRD) | xz --check=crc32 --lzma2=dict=512KiB >
$(TEMP_INITRD_XZ)

So I am almost sure initrd for sparc64 isn't zipped at all. That will
help. ;-) I don't know where to find debian-installer for ports within
git. But I just downloaded the sources from deb ...

http://cdn-fastly.deb.debian.org/debian/pool/main/d/debian-installer/

Thanks,

--
Frans van Berckel