Re: dumb question du jour : installer images or netbootable files?

On 05/11/2018 04:59 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
On 05/11/2018 10:47 PM, Dennis Clarke wrote:
     I managed to get an older Netra type system in a rack and hooked up
serial to the console and the usual process. At this point I am curious
about where the very latest network bootable install media may be?

They are inside the debian-installer-images tarball that can be found here:

http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/pool-sparc64/main/d/debian-installer/

These tarballs are generated when you build the package "debian-installer"
which you can just do yourself - like any other package.

Please note that the netboot images above are built against an older kernel,
so installation will fail with the installer being unable to find the kernel
module packages. This is again an issue caused by Debian Ports' use of mini-DAK.

Thank you for the info .. I would have hit a brick wall there.

OKay, so nothing off the shelf or user friendly.
Still requires hand holding and some fidget work.

The images I created contain d-i packages that were built manually. But again,
you can just build fresh images yourself, just build the debian-installer
package. You just need to edit build/config/common and adjust the kernel
ABI version [1].

Adrian

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer/commit/0d020187fe71d035dd4c51fd15c102eff68a8376

Right on ... I'll look around there and see what progress I can make.
I have to proceed with a tftp boot from the prom and hopefully not need
to use NFS for anything.  So long as I can get the installer going from
over serial console and have a network port that functions then the rest
should be from the debian-sid repo.  I hope.  Hold on .. before I get
there .. what is the preferred repo address for the installer here? Same as usual stuff or something special ?

Dennis