Re: Getting additional modules for install. [missing pdc202xx_new]

On Mar 8, 2018, at 2:20 PM, Mike Tremaine <mgt@stellarcore.net> wrote:

On Mar 8, 2018, at 2:04 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

Hi Mike!

On 03/08/2018 10:37 PM, Mike Tremaine wrote:
I have sort of an odd situation, I want to test debian 9 on an Ultra 5 that is capable of booting* a Promise PDC20269 chipset card [Maxtor ATA/133]. The install does not have pdc202xx_new available and I was unsure what the best way was to get a Sparc64 kernel module built for it.

If the driver is actually available/compatible on/with SPARC we can just enable it in
the Debian Linux kernel package so it will be available in future kernel versions.

Did you check whether the driver is part of the official upstream kernel sources?

I believe it is…

I built a quick virtual machine to check the headers and I see pdc202xx_old but not _new in the x86_64 kernel.

mgt@debian:/lib/modules/4.9.0-4-amd64$ ls kernel/drivers/ata/pata_pdc202*
kernel/drivers/ata/pata_pdc2027x.ko  kernel/drivers/ata/pata_pdc202xx_old.ko

Not a huge but an interesting oddity. Once I can confirm usability I’d love to know if the other Openboot 3.x PCI sun4u can do this also.

-Mike

I see I was wrong it is the kernel/drivers/ata/pata_pdc2027x.ko module in Debian.

description=libata driver module for Promise PDC20268 to PDC20277

-Mike