Re: Re: GRUB testers on SPARC needed

On Mon, Mar 05, 2018 at 11:45:16AM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> > At least with the stretch installer there is no problem with using a MBR partitioning
> > on the am64 arch. You maybe can't select it, but if you generate a MBR partitioning using
> > the shell inside the installer this will work.
>
> Ok, after a quick look it seems that this particular configuration is actually
> supported by the grub-installer:
>
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/git/d-i/grub-installer.git/tree/grub-installer#n338
>
> On EFI systems, it will test whether /var/lib/partman/ignore_uefi exists which I
> assume is written by partman if it finds an MBR partition table on an EFI system.

Thanks for this information.

> > Also IMHO this (EFI partition on MBR) is usefull to work, as the server BIOSses here are all able
> > to boot from an USB stick which usually have MBR partitioning.
>
> This is for installed systems, not for installer images.

Yes, exactly: Booting the installed system via UEFI from usb stick. The netboot installer
has no partitioning - so no issue with installer images, at least not in my case.

> > As the servers used here all have an internal USB slot thats my favorite setup at the moments.
>
> Why not use a remote KVM? ;)

Because netbooting rocks - or what are I'm missing ? ;-)

Probably we are getting to OT now...
Greetings
  Hermann

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg