Re: Re: GRUB testers on SPARC needed

On Sat, Mar 03, 2018 at 01:09:40AM +0100, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> On 03/02/2018 10:27 PM, Frank Scheiner wrote:
> >> On x86, it will automatically use GPT if the machine is booted in EFI mode. ...
> >> I know you try to make the most compatible design to fit all use cases, but I don’t think we should support such edge cases when debian-installer doesn’t
> >> support it on other platforms.
> Maybe it's a good idea to perform some tests with such setups on x86 (e.g.
> having MBR partitioning and then booting the machine in EFI mode and keeping
> the MBR setup) and observe what debian-installer does.

At least with the stretch installer there is no problem with using a MBR partitioning
on the am64 arch. You maybe can't select it, but if you generate a MBR partitioning using
the shell inside the installer this will work.

Also IMHO this (EFI partition on MBR) is usefull to work, as the server BIOSses here are all able
to boot from an USB stick which usually have MBR partitioning.

As the servers used here all have an internal USB slot thats my favorite setup at the moments.

Just 2cents and thank for all your work,
 greetings
   Hermann

--
Netzwerkadministration/Zentrale Dienste, Interdiziplinaeres
Zentrum fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen der Universitaet Heidelberg