Re: Best debian 9 repo for sparc64 packages

On 12/30/2017 12:40 AM, Tony Rodriguez wrote:
> Modified my sources to file to reflect "https://deb.debian.org/debian-ports"; then ran apt-get update.

This doesn't help with Firefox in your case for the aforementioned reasons I was talking about.

> A) firefox still doesn't install.
>
> "apt-get install firefox
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> or been moved out of Incoming.

>  firefox : Depends: libevent-2.0-5 (>= 2.0.10-stable) but it is not installable
>            Depends: libhunspell-1.4-0 but it is not installable
> E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages."

You need to search snapshots for the packages above, e.g.:

http://snapshot.debian.org/package/hunspell/1.4.1-2/#libhunspell-1.4-0_1.4.1-2:2b:b2

Then right-click the path next to the sparc64 package and paste it into your sources.list:

deb http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian-ports/20161011T063855Z/ unstable main

Note: You have to strip off "pool-sparc64/main/h/hunspell/" and add " unstable main"
      to the URL above.

Then run apt-get update as:

# apt-get -o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false update

To disable the signature verification.

I recommend reading the documentation for snapshots on the website to understand
the underlying issue and how to use it properly. It's a bit confusing if you do it
the first time. Sometimes you need to specify the exact versions of the packages
you want to install, e.g. for the package "xbill":

# apt install xbill=1.2.3-1

You can see the available with:

# apt-cache policy xbill

> B) Iceweasel doesn't install

Iceweasel doesn't exist anymore.

> C) Clicking the web browser (bottom left of screen) within lxde desktop generates the following error popup.
>
> "Invalid desktop entry file: '/usr/share/applications/lxde-x-www-browser.desktop'"

That's because you have no package installed which provides lxde-x-www-browser.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz