Re: New sparc64 installation images 2017-03-14

On 14/03/17 21:33, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

>> Let me know if there is anything else that should be fixed.
>
> I've just done a quick test of this under qemu-system-sparc64 and I can
> boot to the installer in -nographic mode which is great :)
>
> One thing to note is that it still seems that virtio modules aren't
> being built for sparc64 at the moment. A quick look through the git
> history showed this commit:
> https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/commit/?h=sid&id=92831f3cb9a1f10e84f6f7f1354b8b0b4b83b577
>
> Is this something that also needs to be done for sparc64 in order to get
> the virtio modules included again?

Okay so after a bit of digging, I can see what's happening here.

What has changed is that now instead of the virtio modules being
directly loaded into the kernel before launching the debian-installer,
the virtio-modules udeb is extracted as part of the "Loading additional
components" section.

Unfortunately this makes it impossible to boot and install from a virtio
CDROM device since "Loading additional components" occurs *after*
"Detecting hardware to find CDROM drives" and so we end up in the
position where we are unable to located the virtio CDROM in order to
load the virtio-modules udeb.

So the question is: how can the installer be changed so that the
virtio-modules are included as part of the kernel used to boot the
debian installer (as it used to be) rather than having to be loaded by
the installer from a separate udeb?

ATB,

Mark.