Re: SPARC Issues Open for Conjecture

On 06/12/2016 10:44 AM, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
> I apologize for all of the confusion / frustration. I'm one of those people that need to understand the inner workings of something before i can understand how
> to properly interface with it.

There is nothing wrong with trying to understand the inner workings :). But it would be better to just ask until I manage to answer before
speculating too much. Otherwise you spend too much time trying to solve a problem the wrong way like in this particular case. Building
Debian Installer images is not trivial if you try it for the first time and there are a number of pitfalls, especially when building
images for the ports architectures which is a tad more tricky since Debian Installer relies on components being available in the
unstable repositories. That's also why the debian-installer package currently fails to build from source on all ports architectures
on the buildds.

> Ok so, so it couldn't find the repo, got it. I went to the dists folder and only found a single repo named sid. I assumue because of this line...
>
> Codename: sid
>
> so i made a symlink from sid to unstable and added the udebs. which ended in this.
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Unable to locate package sparc-utils-udeb
>
> I guess reprepro didn't like the symlink idea, because it never added it to packages.gz. I made sure i was looking at the one for debian-installer.
>
> so i removed the symlink, changed USE_UDEBS_FROM to sid in the debian installer source, then did...
>
> reprepro includeudeb sid /path/to/udeb/*udeb
> reprepro includeudeb sid /path/to/deb/*deb
>
> and it seems to be building now.

The symlink is normally there all the time. I don't remember setting USE_UDEBS_FROM, but I also cannot check right now
because my SPARC box is currently in my basement due to lack of space in my apartment.

> I should have figured that out earlier. Late nights will do that to you i suppose (GMT-4)

No worries. Please join us in #sparc on FreeNode. We can discuss any installer issues there as well. And please give me
some time to answer next time you run into an issue, this will help avoiding to waste time digging into the wrong direction.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz