Re: SPARC Issues Open for Conjecture

On 06/10/2016 03:55 AM, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
> Adding a note to point D, the modules are there but not loaded. Doing
> a "modprobe sunesp" then running the installer will find the cdrom. Where
> do we determine what modules to load at boot?

You don't. The module should normally load automatically using udev events.

If it doesn't, the driver in question needs to be patched to get this ability:

The relevant commits are:

> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc.git/commit/?id=5bde2c9be701c4583f0a9243bd46590ec401bfba
> http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc.git/commit/?id=36128d204b81c099b5779771127a5546eac549c9

I can look into the sunesp driver and patch it, if necessary, too.

As for building installation images, I have already mitigated many issues in
the process, but there is still some work to do. If you want to give building
these images yourself a try, you can try to follow the guide by Helge Deller
which he created for hppa:

> https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/How_to_create_Debian_unstable_iso_images

Some notes on the guide:

* The linked patch for the CONF.sh script contains one error:
  https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/images-parisc/2/2e/Debian-cd.patch.txt

  DI_DIR should end with "build/tmp/cdrom", not "build/tmp/netboot" as otherwise
  your CD images will be built with the netboot version of Debian Installer
  when you actually need the CD-ROM version of DI.

* You don't need to compile "silo", "silo-installer" and "sparc-utils" yourself, but
  you *might* have to add them to the list of local packages in reprepro.

* If reprepro fails to sync, just try another sync later. If it fails syncing with
  the same package over and over again, you can just add the package in question
  to the ignore list of reprepro.

* Checkout my reprepro configuration for sparc64, it might be useful for you:

  https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/reprepro-conf-sparc64.tgz

I cannot make any comments on the ZFS issues you were discussing, but it's great
to hear that someone is taking care of it.

Oh, and if you end up having to patch debian-installer or debian-cd, let me know.

At least for debian-cd, I can commit any patches myself, I have commit access. For
debian-installer, you will have to propose patches to their mailing list (I think
the list is debian-boot@l.d.o).

Anyway, thank you very much for your efforts and help! This is highly appreciated :).

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz