Re: SPARC Issues Open for Conjecture

On 06/12/2016 08:44 AM, alexmcwhirter@triadic.us wrote:
> I understand this much, the issue isn't adding these to unstable. It's finding sparc-utils-udeb in the first place.

It is. *After* you add the udeb locally. As I have already mentioned - twice.

> sparc-utils-udeb is not in unreleased, at least not according to http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports/dists/unreleased/main/binary-sparc64/Packages.gz

Well, yes, it is. It is just a .udeb, not a .deb, which is why it's not in the Packages file. .udeb are Debian packages for ANNA, the apt
replacement which is used in Debian Installer. Anna is Not Nearly Apt.

> Removing unreleased from /etc/apt/sources.list and trying to force-reinstall sparc-utils fails, confirming that it's not in unstable. Adding unreleased back
> into sources.list will allow it to reinstall normally. But with unreleased added to sources.list again you still cannot install sparc-utils-udeb as it can't
> find it.
>
> Only sparc-utils can be found in unreleased, not sparc-utils-udeb. The cd installer build process explicitly asks for sparc-utils-udeb and not the other variant.

Yes, because sparc-utils-udeb cannot be installed with APT.

> So either i change it so debian-installer uses sparc-utils over sparc-utils-udeb or something is wrong with the repo.

Neither. You just don't understand what the difference between udebs and debs is.

> Im going to guess the former is correct.

Neither is. Just add the sparc-utils-udeb as explained in one of my previous mails:

Add the packages with:

$ reprepro includeudeb unstable /path/to/udeb/*udeb
$ reprepro includeudeb unstable /path/to/deb/*deb

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz