Re: Sun Ultra 5

I gave that iso a try a few days ago and got memory not aligned.  I'll re-burn the DVD and try again.  it's to bad we can't just do an apt-get dist-upgrade ;-)

Thanks!
-- larry

On Mon, Oct 10, 2016 at 5:53 PM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
Hi Larry!

On 10/10/2016 11:27 PM, Larry Cashdollar wrote:
> I have a Sun ultra 5 running Debian 7, is there an upgrade path to newer versions of debian?

Not directly, you'll have to reinstall it.

Use this NETINST image which I created:

> https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/debian-cd/2016-05-04/debian-9.0-sparc64-NETINST-1.iso

Your machine should be compatible, Debian Wheezy (7.0) already required a 64-bit CPU.

At the installation prompt (SILO), type:

        install preseed/url="" href="https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/preseed-sparc64.cfg" rel="noreferrer" target="_blank">https://people.debian.org/~glaubitz/preseed-sparc64.cfg

When installing, skip the step called "Install software packages". Just install the
base system, set up networking and so on and install the rest once you have
booted into the installed system.

When partitioning, don't forget to create a partition of around 500 MiB to 1 GiB
size for SILO to work properly. It's recommended to use ext2 or ext3 for this
partition.

The current sparc64 installation images are beta quality but will improve in
the future. So some issues are normal. Feel free to ask any questions on
the mailing list, but always keep the list in the loop (in CC).

> or have the sun4u CPU support been mothballed?

No. Debian sparc64 runs perfectly fine on sun4u. However, Oracle's own version
of Linux for SPARC (it's actually called "Linux for SPARC") requires at least
sun4v, e.g. SPARC-T1 CPU or newer.

Cheers,
Adrian

--