Re: Debian Sparc 7.10.0 Install Problems

On 2016-06-09 05:19, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi Alex!

On 06/09/2016 09:12 AM, Alex McWhirter wrote:
How "new" does a system have to be in order to meet these requirements. T-5 machines are probably not too hard to come by, but the starting price of a T-7
machine is around 40K USD IIRC.

It doesn't have to be bleeding edge technology like the M7, but just just new hardware in the sense that the machines have not been used for a long time
or not used at all. I think even the absolute low-end model that
Oracle currently
offers would be more than enough to be used for Debian, it just should be new
or at least refurbished.

The problem with the existing SPARC servers that Debian was running was simply that they were quite old and starting to run into issues. And if we want to convince the DSA team to set up new sparc64 servers, those would have to be new and reliable enough that they can be running for a while without any
stability concerns.

The mentioned SPARC T5 machines would be probably perfectly fine. Anatoly Pugachev, who is on this list, is actually hosting such a machine which we have set up as a buildd (with four instances) and a porter box. The machine runs very stable and the integrated remote management mechanisms make it very
easy to admin. So, these machines are ideal for Debian purposes.

I guess we could probably convince DSA to use T5 machines if someone were to donate these as long these particular machines have not seen too much
usage yet. I actually don't think that even T5 machines that have seen
some use already would be in anyway problematic. This kind of enterprise
hardware is usually built like a tank.

Adrian

I do have access to a few T2 / T2+ boxes that are still NIB. They were spares for way back when, but with how reliable the ones we still have in service have been it might be possible to use them for something like this.

Granted T2 boxes are EOL, so i'm not sure. T5 is the oldest you can go without being EOL. I can vouch for this gear never dying though. The E6K is probably the oldest box i have access too. The only thing ever to go bad on it was one of the eight redundant power supplies ~2 years ago.

I feel like i read somewhere that you asked Oracle for donations. I'm not sure how that will go, but another avenue may be to get in touch with some universities. IIRC, Purdue used to have a lot of SPARC gear. Not sure if they still use it, but they might have a few extras lying around.