From: John Paul Adrian Glaubitz <glaubitz@physik.fu-berlin.de>
Date: 6/9/2016 2:47 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Chris <syseng@gfsys.co.uk>
Cc: debian-sparc <debian-sparc@lists.debian.org>
Subject: Re: Debian Sparc 7.10.0 Install Problems

Hello Chris!

On 06/08/2016 06:56 PM, Chris wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I would like to try later builds and get more
> involved with the dev process, but right now, I need to understand
> why 7.10.0 isn't working.

Debian Wheezy is already no longer supported, except for the LTS
branch which deals with i386 and amd64 architectures only.

Thus, any issues you may have that are related to bugs will never
be fixed. Plus, since Debian Wheezy, we have fixed a large number
of bugs which affect both sparc and sparc64. In particular, kernel
development has been very active in the past 12 months since Oracle
decided to release their own distribution called "Linux for SPARC".

> It would be interesting to get a build
> environment running, but are there any resources out there to
> get started ?. There must be an overall dev process involved which
> I need to understand before contributing anything.

That depends on what you want to do. Whether it's kernel development,
Debian packaging or improving other upstream projects such as GNOME
or KDE. You need to be more specific.

> Apart from the usual 32 bit Sparcstation class machines,
> have an Ultra 1, several Ultra II and V240, V215/245, T2000 and
> T5220. Could set any of those up to provide ssh / ftp login,
> whatever, if that would be useful to the group...

32-bit SPARC hardware is completely unsupported these days. I think
support for that was even dropped in the Linux kernel. You are welcome
to perform test installations on your hardware with the ISO I have
provided and report back any feedback. But we don't need any additional
old hardware. What we need to make "sparc64" an official supported
port in Debian is actual new hardware. This is one of the requirements
by the Debian System Administrators (DSA) as they don't want to deal
with old hardware breaking apart when building packages for a release
architecture.

Adrian

--
.''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz