Re: [Stretch] Status for architecture qualification

Hi Alex!

On 06/09/2016 06:44 AM, Alex McWhirter wrote:
> If it helps i have access to a decent amount of gear. E6K, V210, V215,
> M4000, T1000, T5120, Netra X1, Blade 150, and a V890.

Thanks for the offer. We don't actually lack any hardware, but what we need
is new off-the-shelf hardware that would be used to set up the infrastructure
for the sparc64 when it becomes an officially supported port in Debian, a
so-called release architecture.

The Debian System Adminstrators (DSA) have the requirement that the hardware
they set up for the official buildds and porterboxes is new and not used,
old hardware which might fall apart while being used for critical infrastructure.

Debian's release architectures come with active security support and for
that, the buildds infrastructure needs to be there with high availability
to be able to build updated packages with security patches the moment they
become available.

> I've been working on the sparc64 port of Gentoo for quite a while. If
> there are issues that need addressed for Debian i'm willing to help out
> with the effort.

Some unresolved sparc64-related bugs can be found here:

> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?tag=sparc64;users=debian-sparc@lists.debian.org

You can find more issues if you look at the list of packages with state
"Build Attempted" in the buildd database:

> https://buildd.debian.org/status/architecture.php?a=sparc64&suite=sid

Oh, and btw, please upstream any changes you have made in Gentoo to fix
bugs on sparc64. Do you have patches available for the problems with
the testsuites of pulseaudio, util-linux and glibc. Or did you skip
the testsuites for these packages?

> Seems like most of the issues are either bad coding practices or little
> mistakes.

True. Another example for that is kdevelop-php:

> https://buildd.debian.org/status/package.php?p=kdevelop-php&suite=sid

As you can see, the build fails due to unaligned access:

[  1%] Generating phptokentype.h, phpdebugvisitor.h, phptokentext.h, phpast.h, phpparser.h, phpparser.cpp, phpvisitor.h, phpvisitor.cpp, phpdefaultvisitor.h,
phpdefaultvisitor.cpp
cd /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/obj-sparc64-linux-gnu/parser && /usr/bin/kdev-pg-qt --output=php --namespace=Php --debug-visitor /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/parser/php.g
Bus error
parser/CMakeFiles/kdev4phpparser.dir/build.make:66: recipe for target 'parser/phptokentype.h' failed
make[3]: *** [parser/phptokentype.h] Error 138

which is usually easy to track down with gdb.

Thanks for your help!

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz