Re: booting qemu sparc gives black window

On Wed, 18 May 2016, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

On 18/05/16 10:02, David Griffith wrote:

I've been trying to boot an old debian ISO under qemu sparc, but all I
can get is a black screen unless I use the -nographic option.  I start
with this:

qemu-img create -f qed sparcdisk.img 2G

Then this:

qemu-system-sparc -bios ss5.bin -vga cg3 -g 1152x900 -hda sparcdisk.img
-cdrom debian-40r9-sparc-netinst.iso

My host system is Debian 8.

Which version of QEMU is supplied with Debian 8? On a recent QEMU you
should find that OpenBIOS will boot all OSs on SS-5 machines, so no need
to provide an external ROM image. The following should work for you and
give a 1024x768 framebuffer:

qemu-system-sparc -vga cg3 -hda sparcdisk.img -cdrom
debian-40r9-sparc-netinst.iso -boot d

Otherwise I've just tried the following locally and it works fine here
on QEMU 2.6:

qemu-system-sparc -vga cg3 -cdrom debian-31r1a-sparc-businesscard.iso
-bios ss5.bin

Before each QEMU release I tend to boot debian-31r1a and debian-40r4a
ISOs through to userspace to make sure there are no regressions so I
would expect this to work.

Debian 8 installs QEMU 2.5. I upgraded to 2.6 with jessie-backports to no avail. None of your suggestions worked at all.

--
David Griffith
dave@661.org