Re: Debian on ultra 1 (was: Re: Debian on qemu-system-sparc64)

> Well, no. The installer works fine on my SunBlade 100

The SB100 is IDE; U1 is SCSI and uses the sun_esp module.
Perhaps the problem is just the module is not loaded, since
few systems (if any) would use it beyond the U1 and U2.

> I don't know whether that graphics hardware is still supported,
> but you can just try. I mean, the Ultra 1 is pretty old so it
> most likely needs some work in the kernel and X.org to get the
> bugs on this machine ironed out.

X works fine in NetBSD, up to and including the Sun-unsupported
1920x1080@60Hz. You need a kernel hack to get that resolution
though, but anything supported in the PROM is OotB.

But yes, it seems that the current Xorg in Sid doesn't support the
FFB anymore. They also exist as PCI devices, so I'm a bit surprised.
It was standard-issue 'good' video for most of the Ultra workstations
(the Elite3D a.k.a AFB taking the high-end and TurboGX a.k.a. cgsix
the entry-level).

Also since the Ultra 1 is younger than me, it's not old :-)

> Any chance for you to just burn a CD and try an installation
> from CD?

That was my first attempt and it failed with a black screen, as
described in my first message. Going through Lenny/sparc was
an attempt at circumventing the problem in the cdrom :-)

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau