Re: Debian on qemu-system-sparc64

Hi Adrian,

On 2016-01-25 13:51, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
Hi Adrian!

On 01/25/2016 12:05 PM, Adrian Davey wrote:
Just thought I'd share a couple of things to help people use debian on
emulated sparc64 (sun4u).

Great idea!

Currently, graphics is not functioning so once installed using Adrian's
wonderful debian d-i iso [1] from message thread [2], you need to make
sure that systemd it not going to make modprobe load the DRM modules,
else you hang your VM.

Good to know, thanks!

(...)

Would you mind putting this up in the Debian Wiki on the sparc64 page?

https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64

Added new page https://wiki.debian.org/Sparc64Qemu with link from Sparc64 similar to how arm64 did it.

It would also be interesting to know whether you could get networking
on qemu-sparc64 because recently I never managed to do that. Also,
when using virt-manager, I always receive an obscure permissions
error when creating a new sparc64 VM, so I always have to resort
to the command line.

Networking with QEMU can be simple or complex. Personally, I avoid using qemu directly as networking is not simple at the common line invocation unless you only want user-mode networking.

I have setup a 'default' network using virt-manager that creates a NATed network that bridges to any host system connected network, libvirt sets up dnsmasq perfectly for my needs, you can even do IPv6 now too. I also have other networks defined for other VMs that need direct bridge or completely private inter-VM network, all really easy to setup with virt-manager.

Sadly virt-manager doesn't understand non-x86 system defines very well, so it automatically tries to make PCI slot number changes, which then fail to save as the config collides. Edit the VM config from virsh is the safe work around. Libvirt is equally clever in thinking you will need USB added, I have not found a way around this as yet, but it doesn't harm installation or running of debian. I can't be bothered with minicom connecting to PTY so I use the virt-manager GUI to start/stop VMs and watch the console, even better when doing this on a remote system. I define the /etc/network/interfaces file for the enp0sX device to auto up and dhcp from host's libvirt dnsmasq and run ssh into the VM to interact with it rather than the virt-manager console as much as possible.

Hope this helps.

It would be absolutely fantastic to have a complete walkthrough guide
in the wiki which explains how to get a working qemu-sparc64 on
a vanilla Debian testing/unstable.

It's started, feel free to edit, it was mainly a brain dump for now.

Adrian

Another Adrian