Re: notker: Sunfire T2000 hosted at brown.edu: for sparc64?

Hi Anatoly!

On 12/24/2015 03:05 PM, Anatoly Pugachev wrote:
> ok, i'm stuck.
>
> followed guide on
> https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/How_to_create_Debian_unstable_iso_images
> Successfully ran 'reprepro update' , but unable to build
> debian-installer package.
> git clone - ok
> but
> dpkg-buildpackage
> on debian-installer source, gives me a lot of errors
> (log in attachment).

Yeah, I was expecting that. Building debian-installer yourself isn't
that trivial unless you have some experience building Debian packages.

> On the second thought, it wasn't clearly written at
> https://parisc.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/How_to_create_Debian_unstable_iso_images
> is it possible to use sparc (32bit userland) linux to create sparc64
> packages and iso image. So, i'm probably useless currently for that
> kind of work (creating iso image for sparc64 from linux sparc (running
> 64 bit kernel, but 32 bit userland) - it's like cross-compiling for
> me).

You are right, the guide doesn't mention the special case sparc/sparc64.

Helge wrote this guide while working on images for alpha and hppa, so
he built for the same architecture that his build environment was
running on. He is also not really a Debian guy but more an expert
with kernel and general Linux hacking so his guide might not consider
all Debian specialities.

For sparc64, we need to use a sparc64 chroot, similar to what we are
using for building sparc64 packages. Don't worry, I will take care
of this.

> I've seen your email to debian-sparc with the subject "creating
> sparc64 installation images", and agree, we really need someone who
> can help us create sparc64 iso image.

I think I will be able to manage that myself. I just hadn't found
the time yet and the machine I am using for it is sitting in my
office and crashed yesterday, so I had to drive to work on Christmas
Eve to reset it :-).

> Keep in mind, that we still can try to use this sparc T5-2 for tries,
> but it's installed with wheezy.

We will definitely set this machine up as a buildd. It's a total beast
and will even put the buildds for most release architectures to shame
and I am *really* looking forward to getting the machine up and running!

I will work on creating the sparc64 ISO images over the next days and
then announce my results on the list. I am very confident I will be
able to get working images, I have enough experience with building
things on Debian ;-).

PS: Please keep all sparc-related discussion on debian-sparc@l.d.o.

Adrian

--