Re: Samba FTBFS - no idea why

> Hi!
>
> We're having a problem with samba which fails to build from source
> randomly because it cannot download a stylesheet during build:
>
> Checking for stylesheet
> http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/manpages/docbook.xsl
> : not found
>
> Apparently, this works on sompek/sompek2 [1] but not on the other
> buildds [2] and frankly, I have absolutely no idea why.
>
> The missing stylesheet results in manpages not being built and
> eventually, the build failing completely:
>
> #Remove unused vfstest manpage as there is no more vfstest apparently
> rm /«BUILDDIR»/samba-4.1.21+dfsg/debian/tmp/usr/share/man/man1/vfstest.1
>
> If anyone can figure out what's wrong, I'd greatly appreciate that
> because samba has a couple of important reverse dependencies
> like LibreOffice which is a transitive reverse dependency.
>
> Adrian

Not sure if it's exactly the same problem, however I've experienced
something similar trying to build other software - if xsltproc can't
find a particular stylesheet installed locally then it will fall back to
trying to download it from the stylesheet URI.

The normal solution I go for is to install all the *-xsl packages I can
find locally which enables xsltproc and friends to see them, and
optionally pass --nonet into xsltproc to prevent hangs if you outgoing
connection is firewalled.

HTH,

Mark.