Re: Resurrecting Debian on SPARC

Hi David!

On 11/18/2015 01:53 AM, David Matthew Mattli wrote:
> I'm a programmer and I've been looking for a way to become more involved
> with Debian, if you'd be interested in my help.

Great!

> This past summer I spent some time investigating failed Debian/sparc
> builds. The main issues I found were the now fixed fpu corruption bug,
> the gold linker bug, and nettle. The nettle package was changed to
> enable "make check" on the builds and this fails on sparc. This was
> making nettle block a lot of packages before sparc was removed from
> Debian.

Yeah!

> As far as buildd hardware, some interesting machines are for sale on
> ebay for almost nothing. Some, like the t5120, have better single-thread
> performance and more threads than the t2000 class hardware. If you have
> a place for some noisy 1U servers I'd be happy to buy a machine for
> Debian use as a buildd or porterbox.
>
> Thanks for standing up for Debian/sparc and I hope I can help!

If you want to help, have a look at the packages on sparc64 that
currently fail to build from source:

> https://buildd.debian.org/status/architecture.php?a=sparc64&suite=sid

One package of particular importance which needs to be fixed is
libsigsegv:

https://buildd.debian.org/status/fetch.php?pkg=libsigsegv&arch=sparc64&ver=2.10-4&stamp=1447500379

If you have any idea on how to fix this issue, I would be more than
happy to integrate your patch :).

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz