Re: Resurrecting Debian on SPARC

My intention to revive "sparc" is because it uses the V8 instruction
set as opposed to the V9 instruction set used by "sparc64". V8
supports more software (e.g., _javascript_ JIT is not supported on
V9) and more older hardware.

Commonly accessible C8 CPUs are MicroSPARC, SuperSPARC and HyperSPARC (of course there's a zillion other implementations like LEON, but those are not 'commonly' available). That's 20 years old 32 bits hardware. I love them (currently trying to rebuild some recent software on Solaris 7 and 8 in v7 and v8 on my SS20s :-), but do you really think a recent Linux would work (let alone "work well") on those? Even NetBSD has trouble on such old hardware.

Also, a *lot* of software wants multithreading nowadays, and will require some form of synchronization (including ICU for Unicode, and other unlikely places). V8 doesn't have Compare-And-Swap, only Swap and Test-And-Set, like v7. It's possible to emulate CAS, but it requires an extra memory byte for the lock, which is non-trivial to do properly in the multi-process case (inefficient multi-thread is trivial). GCC doesn't supply such emulation, so lots of software will fail because symbols like __sync_fetch_and_add_4 are missing (C++11 atomic uses those nowaadays).

Don't take me wrong - I would *love* to be able to update my SS5-110MHz running Debian 4 to a newer Debian. I'm just not sure whether it's worth the hassle compared to say, trying to improve NetBSD or OpenBSD...

Cordially,

--
Romain Dolbeau