Re: problem booting Debian on X1

On 6/27/2014 10:50 PM, Jeremy Kister wrote:
Recently, we rebooted the server (was healthy afaict) and it won't come
back.  When it tries to boot, it prints "SI" (where it would normally
say SILO and continue booting) and then just gets stuck.

I've got another two systems (Sparc/X1) that are exhibiting the same behavior. After about 10 or so minutes of waiting near "SI" the console prints "Program Terminated"

I have configured a netboot server and when using 'boot net' at the ok prompt, it starts the install process. If I break out of the install process and try 'Install the SILO boot loader on a hard disk', the partitioner starts up and I get scared to go anywhere (I dont want to lose any data here!)

Since I don't really know what else to do, I want to reinstall SILO. Can someone point me how to do that from a network boot shell? BusyBox ash loads, but I have no idea how I can use to to reinstall SILO.

.. Or, if anyone has other ideas, i'm desperate.

thanks,

--

Jeremy Kister
http://jeremy.kister.net./