Re: Problems with X11 on Ultra10

Howard Eisenberger wrote:
On 2014-05-07, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

Section "Device"
         Identifier      "Creator 3D"
         VendorName      "Sun Microsystems"
         Driver          "sunffb"
EndSection

I just now got it working with this:

Section "Device"
          Identifier  "Sun Creator3D"
          Driver      "sunffb"
 #        BusID       "SBUS:/SUNW,ffb@1e,0"
 #        Option      "UseFBdev" "true"
EndSection

As I understand it, it's the driver name that's important since it determines which module is to be loaded. The BusID etc. is effectively a parameter.

Obviously, any attached monitor has to be capable of sync-on-green. In practice this means something like an NEC MultiSync.

That was the ticket. I simply switched monitors! The BusID works, but not necessary. I'll try the same xorg.conf with OpenBSD.

FWIW, on both the U10 and U60 with Creator3D, I get a segmentation
fault when I quit X, but it seems to work O.K. if I startx again.

We've been mostly using Etch on the desktop as "X terminals" until comparatively recently (what the backend systems are isn't relevant). Switching to "Lenny" in the same role is grossly unreliable, and nothing more recent is any better- if it installs at all.

Our current thoughts are to use x86 or Raspberry Pi as X terminals, which never see any code or media which has arrived over the Internet. We hope that SPARC or a comparable non-x86 platform remains viable as Internet-connected backend systems, without judging what OS is usable.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk