Re: Problems with X11 on Ultra10

On 2014-05-07, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:

> Howard Eisenberger wrote:

>> I installed a Creator card in my Ultra 10 and the problem seems
>> to be that Debian tries to use the onboard ATI. You can search
>> for this on the Web.
>>
>> I got a console by appending "video=atyfb:off" to the silo boot,
>> but X is still not working. I created a xorg.conf, but I don't
>> know how to ID the Creator card, which isn't PCI.
>
> I've certainly had it working in the past, probably with Lenny. This is
> from a colleague's old U10, but it's running Etch headless so I can't be
> sure that it's good

Thanks for looking.

> ..
> Section "Device"
>          Identifier      "Creator 3D"
>          VendorName      "Sun Microsystems"
>          Driver          "sunffb"
> EndSection

I just now got it working with this:

Section "Device"
          Identifier  "Sun Creator3D"
          Driver      "sunffb"
 #        BusID       "SBUS:/SUNW,ffb@1e,0"
 #        Option      "UseFBdev" "true"
EndSection

> Section "Monitor"
>          Identifier      "Generic Monitor"
>          Option          "DPMS"
>          HorizSync       28-96
>          VertRefresh     43-60
> EndSection
> ..

I didn't configure the monitor.

> Obviously, any attached monitor has to be capable of sync-on-green. In
> practice this means something like an NEC MultiSync.

That was the ticket. I simply switched monitors! The BusID works,
but not necessary. I'll try the same xorg.conf with OpenBSD.

FWIW, on both the U10 and U60 with Creator3D, I get a segmentation
fault when I quit X, but it seems to work O.K. if I startx again.

Regards,

Howard E.