Re: Seems I have bad timing with Debian on SPARC.

Hi.

On Wednesday 02 October 2013 23:36:40 u60 spitfire wrote:
> Just signed up for this mailing list; had spent a good amount of time
> over the last week getting my Ultra 60 up and running again.  It's
> mostly OK...heh...execpt the part about having to reprogram the darn
> NVRAM every time I turn it on.
>
> I got jessie installed (Didn't get far in the stable release; first
> thing I did was try to open iceweasel and it hit a bus error --
> unaligned mem access maybe).  Working on getting the framebuffer going
> and whatnot now, went to the Debian forums and figured I'd try this
> mailing list after no responses there.
>
> After checking the posts for the last few months (only a handful!),
> they seem all about "Hello....anybody out there using/maintaining
> this?"  or "Hey if anyone's using driver X y'all need to maintain it
> yourself 'cause you're the only one using it", heh.
>
> So, realistically*, what's the deal?  Any point in trying to get this
> to work or should I cut my losses now and move to some other
> distribution or OS?  I had thought that maybe there was some interest
> in the architecture since OpenSPARC was published/available for some
> time.  Anyhow.
>
> Advice appreciated in advance.
>
> thanks
>

> *Yes, I'm not being terribly realistic running anything on this box to
> begin with.

I reinstalled my Ultra 60 some days ago - dual boot Wheezy / Jessie. I used
the netinstall CDs. I'm running XFCE4, workes fine so far on both Wheezy and
Jessie.

Ok, Iceweasel is broken - that's an old problem. And installing Jessie with
the XFCE CD ended up in a mixture of XFCE and Gnome - unusable. But starting
with the netinstall CD, even Jessie is working without major problems so far.
Hm, I didn't use it in "real life" yet ...

Regards,

   Hartwig