Re: Compiling vanilla kernel issues.

That's right. It sounds like your initramfs is missing drivers for the IDE/SATA/SAS system. In other words, your kernel loads, but without the drivers either a) built-in to the kernel or b) present in the initramfs, it has no way of detecting and subsequently mounting your disks which contain the root partition "/".

I would do `lspci` to find out what chipset the SPARC system uses, then see if you find which of the drivers that `lsmod` shows is responsible for that. You may be able to use `dmesg | more` to see what driver detects the disks as well -- pretty much every driver prints debug messages about the disks it finds. Alternatively, if you know the model of the system (e.g. Sun Ultra 80), then you can look up the hardware / drivers using your favorite search engine or see if anyone knows off hand on the list.

Good luck!

Patrick Baggett