Re: SunFire V120 and sym53c8xx

On 19/02/2011 23:20, Jurij Smakov wrote:
On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 11:06:04PM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 10:49:39AM +0000, Richard Mortimer wrote:
[Cc'd to 611314@bugs.debian.org]

I tested with your netboot image and it exhibits the same behaviour
as the official installer. The sym53c8xx driver does get loaded
automatically. I'm pretty sure that this is a timing issue. I
confirmed that all of the /dev/sd* files were present along with
/dev/disk/* entries.

Ok, I think the magic happens in the disk_found() function in
disk-detect.sh [0]. It looks like it will retry up to 3 times to see
whether devices have showed up (with list-devices disk), sleeping 2
seconds between attempts... If it takes up to 7 seconds for driver to
initialize itself, we might be cutting it just a bit too short.
Unfortunately, I don't see how we can test it easily, as neither
netboot image nor miniiso contain the udebs, they are downloaded off
the network.

Hm, if expert install mode offers an opportunity to drop to shell
after udebs are downloaded, then we can probably replace the udeb
containing disk-detect.sh with a modified one. Can you check whether
it's possible?

Yeah I can use "Go Back" at Set up users and passwords to get to the installer main menu and then drop to a shell.

I can likely modify any scripts in place if you give me pointers to what you would like to change/test.

To get things started I tried changing the number of retries from 3 to 8 with

sed -i 's/1 2 3/1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8/' /bin/disk-detect

This detected the disks just fine.

Regards

Richard