Re: silo and new kernel issue in lenny & squeeze

Hi,
thanks for your answer

On Thu, 04 Aug 2011 22:15:49 +0200, Mark Morgan Lloyd <markMLl.debian-sparc@telemetry.co.uk> wrote:

urodelomutante wrote:

Well, since my first upgrade to Lenny, I've never been able to run a new kernel, only the old 2.6.18 works. I've upgraded the kernel during the upgrade of debian, and silo.conf has been automatically modified to load the new kernel (some years ago the one of lenny, some months ago the one of squeeze). When I boot the ultra10 with a new kernel, for ex 2.6.32, openboot loads, than at the prompt should appear SILO, but what I get is SI and nothing more. As I've told before, with old 2.6.18, it works

I am not an expert in this, but since nobody else has replied: I've run Etch, Lenny and Squeeze without SILO problems. Have you read the silo manpage and investigated whether it can update itself?

Do you mean silo deb package? It was updated during the last distro upgrade. But if you mean silo configuration, silo.conf has been updated for sure, other things I don't know... For what I have understood, teh second stage should always be the same on the computer, does not depend on the kernel image you want to use; except initrd.img and kernel related files inside /boot, I don't know which other file should or not be installed/modified...

(by the way, is there a way to chose the kernel to boot among those available in silo.conf, in a way similar to that of grub - lilo?)

Working from memory, by specifying the kernel name etc. at the OpenPROM prompt.

Ok, but I mean getting a menu like in grub, from which I can chose which kernel to boot, because typing /pci@1f,4000/ide/ata@0,0/cmdk@0,0;4/boot/vmlinux.new root=/dev/hda4 blablabla is too long and if you don't know/remeber the sparc name of the boot partition you can't find the kernel

tnx
--
用斯斯!