Re: How to boot SUN T5220?

On Mon, May 09, 2011 at 09:57:50AM -0300, Flamarion Jorge scribbled:

> On 05/05/2011 08:56 PM, Flamarion Jorge wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I am the Flamarion Jorge and I'm from Brazil.
> >
> > I joined this list for two reasons:
> >
> > 1 - I understand very little about the SPARC architecture, which must
> > have an installed Debian and it works well.
> > 2 - I really want to report a successful installation for staff of the DI
> >
> > So here we go
> >
> > Today all afternoon here in Brazil (GMT -3) I tried unsuccessfully to
> > get a boot with Debian installed on SUN T5220.
> >
> > Initially I did a normal installation using a traditional partitioning
> > using EXT3 and SWAP.
> >
> > After some reading on the Internet I saw that it was necessary to have a
> > primary partition in UFS and EXT2 format, and has a partition table with
> > the label SUN.
> >
> > Well, I tried to do this manually, without success. I tried to leave the
> > DI guided partitioning, without success. I tried, tried and tried .....
> > I read a lot, but unfortunately I can reach the end of successful
> > installation, with all the hardware detected and functional, but I can
> > not boot from a ILOM.
> >
> > The only way I could access my Debian on SUM T5220 was through the
> > rescue mode of DI.
> >
> > So after all this saga, I'd like a hint of you on how to make Debian
> > boot properly SILO from the ILOM.
> >
> > This machine is at my disposal, so I can try any hint that you want to
> > post so we can report a successful installation of for the DI guys and
> > the staff of the SPARC port.
> >
> > Thank you very much
> >

> Hi again,
>
> Can anyone give me a hint to help start the SILO?

Yes, but sorry it's going to be rather obvious since you didn't
go into detail as to what the problem was. Go to openfirmware
(the ok prompt) and type "boot disk" (or whatever is needed to
boot of the disk where you installed silo). Then, (this is the
important part) observe what *does* happen. If you can't figure
out how to fix it, it would be easier to help if you actually
tell us what happened. If there is an error, you may want to copy
and paste it. If there is no output whatsoever, you would want to
say that. If it only prints "S" you would want to say that. It's
a bit hard to guess what went wrong if all you say is that it was
unsuccessful.

As for the SUN disklabel, you seem a bit confused about that, but
it may just be the translation from Portuguese. SUN does not use
the same partitioning scheme as the DOS partitions you are
probably used to. It's not that you need a partition with a label
of SUN, it's that you should be using a sun disklabel rather than
a DOS partition table. But if you're using the installer to
partition the disk, that shouldn't be a problem as it will do the
right thing. If you're partitioning manually and want more
details check man fdisk or
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/BSD_disklabel but
I don't think that's actually the problem.

Ivan