Re: Installing Debian from NFS

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 01:49:47PM -0500, RR wrote:
> Hello,
>
> this may be a very obvious one of those things that I should just  "Google"
> but given my last experience, and unsuccessful Googling, I figured maybe I
> should ask the community as to what the CORRECT way to install Debian on a
> Sun machine such that it uses the ISO/Distribution on my local NFS server as
> opposed to just picking up the boot.img and then have the rest of it be
> downloaded from the Internet. I have a LOT of SUN machines to install and
> it'd be cool if I can just install them off the distro on the nfs server.
>
> The way my boot server is setup is, that it has tftp, /etc/ethers and
> /etc/hosts files all setup.

You'll also need either bootparamd or dhcpd set up.

> I have the boot.img from Debian Lenny for sparc
> in /tftpboot and also have the hex and decimal/AF_INET format of the
> intended IP Address soft-linked to this boot.img in the /tftpboot directory
> i.e. 0A01030B -> boot.img.

I've go this as
C0A8000F.SUN4M -> sparcroot/boot/tftpboot.img
The debug log of the daemons above will tell you exactly whan name the SUN
machine is looking for.

> I also have the entire debian-DVD-lenny.iso
> available and is mounted on /mnt/iso by way of lofiadm so that /mnt/iso has
> the contents of the ISO and not the bundled iso image.
>
> Now, how do I tell the installer to go pick it up from there? I have done a
> bit of research and all I see everywhere is mentions of some file called
> root.tar.gz and debian-installer and what not...but I can't figure out where
> do I get that from.
>
> I have tried:
> ok> boot net

Should be enough to get thing started.
I hope it prints out that it's trying to in touch with a bootp server.

Martin