Re: initrd is too fast for md

Ivan Jager <aij+debian@mrph.org> writes:

> The problem is that /scripts/local-top is running and trynig to set up
> md before the hard drives are detected and show up in /dev.

Add rootdelay=5 or similar to your kernel command line.  This is
documented in the installation guide.  Yes, this is a workaround.
Usually the scsi_wait_scan magic in scripts/init-premount/udev is good
enough.

> An earlier problem I had was that I had created md0 with /
> mounted ro, so /etc/mdadm/mdadm.conf wasn't updated and when
> generating the initrd, /conf/conf.d/md had MD_MODULES=''.  That
> took me a while to figure out, because I only needed to load
> md-mod to get raid to work. It seems like it might be a good idea
> to just modprobe md-mod near the top of /scripts/local-top/mdadm.

That script explicitly loads all MD modules already.

> Last of all, I seem to remember some plan to have things like md
> and lvm started by udev which seems like it would have avoided
> this problem.

Unfortunately, that didn't take off.

> Also, since when does initrd use udev? It seems like a static /dev
> might avoid this probblem, at least if something caused mdadm to wait
> for /dev/sda to be ready rather than giving up because the device file
> didn't even exist.

Well, mdadm does not wait, although it has an incremental mode nowadays.
--
Regards,
Feri.