workaround implemented! (was: Re: SPARC SunBlade 2000 fails to find disks: ql2200_fw.bin not found, "Firmware image unavailable." (kernel 2.6.26, Debian lenny))

Hi,

Op Thu  4 Feb 2010 om 09:16:20 +0000 schreef Jurij Smakov:
> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 06:40:32AM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
> > >
> > > Can't check now: just found out my USB keyboard is not working in this shell.
> > > I'll reboot tomorrow with an old school VT terminal, or try to rebuild the
> > > initrd with usb-support.
> >
> > Yes, I see it:
> >
> >  (initramfs) ls lib/firmware
> >  ql2100_fw.bin ql2300_fw.bin ql2400_fw.bin
> >  ql2200_fw.bin ql2322_fw.bin ql2500_fw.bin

> > This works!
> >
> >  [...] sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4
> >  [...] sdb: sdb1 sdb2
> >
> > However, after disks have been detected, I get:
> >
> >  (initramfs) exit
> >  Begin: Running scripts/local-premount ... done
> >  mount: mounting /dev/sdb1 on /root failed: No such device
>
> Yeah, unfortunately, this is expected. I think that the root device
> setting comes from /etc/silo.conf, change it there, then run 'silo -f'
> as root, just in case. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas why
> firmware loading fails the first time, but at least you will have a
> workaround now.

Yep, this works around it.  Thanks!

I've also done:

 root@rolle:/etc/initramfs-tools# vi modules

(add 2 lines:

ohci_hcd
ieee1394

)

 root@rolle:~# update-initramfs -k all -u

and reboot, to be able to do edits while on the (initramfs) prompt, using usb
keyboard/mouse with a normal screen (i.e. not serial console).

I believe creating a file /etc/initramfs-tools/scripts/local-top/qla2xxx with
contents

 #!/bin/sh
 modprobe -r qla2xxx
 modprobe qla2xxx

and running

 # update-initramfs -k all -u

would work around the need to run these commands each boot in initramfs shell.
Unfortunately had no time to implement and test that.

Furthermore I've uncommented the ttyS0 line in /etc/inittab, and ran

 # telinit Q

in order to get a login session on my serial console.

X still looks bad.  Perhaps someone at the FOSDEM booth can fix it there;
else we'll demo without X.  We'll see :)

Thanks again for your help!

Bye,

Joost

--