Re: IRC Release Team Meeting on Mon, Aug 23rd, 20 UTC

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:29:27AM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 11:13:44PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 09:52:34PM +0200, Philipp Kern wrote:
> > > sparc had concerns raised about [its] releasability
> > http://release.debian.org/squeeze/arch_qualify.html indicates the number of
> > porters and upstream support is questionable by being yellow, but other than
> > that there is no real explanation. It would be good if this was clarified,
> > so that we know what you guys actually expect.
>
> Well, for upstream support there is: at the bottom of the page.  According
> to doko sparc32 code generation is unmaintained upstream, and he doesn't
> want to step up to maintain it any longer.
>
> Furthermore I found the following thread dated back to 2007:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2007/07/msg00049.html
>
> So far nobody stepped up to provide us with a working sparc64 port.
> I know that aurel32 did some work on zee.debian.org, but was hurt by
> bad RAM in that box (AFAIR).

This problem has been solved by disabling half of the RAM. The port is
progressing with 69% of the packages built. Patches have been sent to
the BTS, some of them are merged. In any case, this will clearly not be
ready for squeeze, but is likely to be ready for squeeze + 1.

The thing is that, despite the sparc32 toolchain being deprecated
upstream, a lot of packages are not sparc64 ready.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73