Retiring the sparc32 port

Hi,

First of all, I would like to apologize for falling out of the loop
for almost 4 months. My move and settling-in period took quite a
bit longer than I expected. In the meantime there was no further
progress on the decision about continued sparc32 support, so I would
like to address it as soon as possible.

The discussion which took place in April and May did not in any way
resolve the fundamental problem of sparc32: lack of people actively
interested in maintaining it (please correct me if I'm wrong). Most
developers involved with the sparc port didn't object to dropping
it. There were a few objections, but I haven't seen any realistic plan
for keeping the port afloat. Even though it appears that there were a
few bugfixes for it since my departure, there is still no active
upstream maintenance, so I don't think we have sufficient reasons to
re-enable the sparc32 kernel builds. Without the updated kernels the
debian-boot team cannot really keep the installer in sync with other
architectures, which means that we have to make a decision. I don't
see other option than dropping it at that point, and I would like to
make it official.

If there are no last-minute objections, I would like to make an
official announcement on d-d-a that Debian is dropping support
for sparc32 for lenny within the next couple of days.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org
Key: http://www.wooyd.org/pgpkey/                      KeyID: C99E03CC