Re: errors silo

On 2010-05-31, Jurij Smakov wrote:

> Last time I tried to install from a daily built squeeze image, I ran
> into http://bugs.debian.org/579948, which prevented me from doing
> meaningful partitioning.

I guess I was just lucky with the image I downloaded at the end
of March. However, using the daily build of 31 May, I also ran
into this partitioner bug, although I managed to work around it
by loading the fdisk-udeb module and creating the partitions
from the 2nd console with fdisk. It wasn't quite what I wanted,
but I was able to continue with the installation.

Two other issues: First, the internal IDE cd-rom drive in the
ultra 5 (secondary master) was not detected from inside the
installer, so I installed from an external scsi cd-rom.

Second, to get silo to boot I had to change root= in silo.conf
from /dev/sdb2 (I also have a scsi drive sda) to /dev/hda2

Given these issues, it might be easier to install lenny, then
upgrade Xorg or whatever without using the squeeze installer,
which was my second suggestion to philo.

Regards,

Howard E.